Delicious St. Patrick's Day Theme Menu
There are plenty of delicious meals to serve on St. Patrick's Day. It can be a challenge to pick your favorites. Here is a St. Patrick's Day theme menu that is sure to please your entire family! Corned Beef with Cabbage,...
There are plenty of delicious meals to serve on St. Patrick's Day. It can be a challenge to pick your favorites. Here is a St. Patrick's Day theme menu that is sure to please your entire family!
No St. Patrick's Day would be complete without the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner. Most people don't have this tasty meat at any other time of the year! Sometimes families will cook extra large quantities so that they can have plenty of leftovers. Don't let this meal scare you! There are plenty of easy recipes for this dish.
Here is a simple recipe for preparing corned beef and cabbage:
- 3 pounds of corned beef brisket (should come with a spice packet)
- 10 small potatoes (adjust quantity depending on size)
- 5 peeled and cut carrots (adjust quantity depending on size)
- 1 large head of cabbage cut into wedges
- Put the corned beef into a large pot or dutch oven and cover with water.
- Add the spice pack to the corned beef and water.
- Place on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound, or until the meat is tender.
- Approximately 25 minutes before the meat is done, add in the potatoes and carrots.
- Then 15 minutes before completed, add in the cabbage.
- You are ready to serve!
Too busy for this type of cooking? It can be a time commitment to watch the stove for this long. Corned beef can also be prepared in your slow cooker with this recipe which is ideal not only for someone who is busy but also for beginning cooks.
When you think of traditional side dishes for a holiday meal, one thing most people think of is rolls. Why not continue with the Irish theme? Here is a popular recipe for Irish Soda Bread, a perfect addition to your main course.
- 4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons of white sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 Cup of softened margarine
- 1 Cup of buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup of butter, melted
- 1/4 Cup of buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and margarine in a large bowl.
- Stir in the 1 cup of buttermilk and the egg.
- Knead the dough gently, place in a ball on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix the 1/4 cup of buttermilk and melted butter.
- Brush this mixture on top of the bread.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an ‘X’ shape on top of the bread.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center.
- After 30 minutes, check periodically to prevent over cooking. You may continue to brush the bread with that mixture as it cooks.
Although there are a lot of ingredients and steps with this recipe it is not an overly difficult recipe. It may be a great project to do with kids. It tastes great!
No meal is complete without a tasty dessert to round it off. Depending on your preferences you could try something like this delicious sounding St. Patrick's Chocolate & Mint Cheesecake Bars which can be made from some basic ingredients.
For the kids, consider making lime jello with cool whip for a green themed dessert they'll love!
Neither of these ideas sound appealing? Here are a few more suggestions:
- Make these vanilla milkshakes and add green food coloring to give it a St. Patrick's Day spin.
- Have the whole family decorate sugar cookies with green frosting, sprinkles, and candy. Since sugar cookies can be cut into shapes like shamrocks or leprechauns, this can be fun and tasty!
Please contact us for more St. Patrick's Day menu ideas!