Guilt-Free Snacks: Better Banana Bread
Every household should have a few Guilt-Free Snacks that are easy to make and everyone loves to eat. This banana bread has been lightened up by removing some of the fat, and subbing in whole wheat pastry flour and ground flax....
Better Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
- 3 egg whites
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan, or spray it with baking spray (includes flour).
- In one bowl, sift together your flour, flax, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, blend your sugar, egg whites, applesauce, bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Beat for approximately 2 minutes.
- Once the mixture is well incorporated and mostly smooth, slowly stir in your flour mixture about a 1/4 of a cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Pour into the prepared pan and allow to bake on the middle rack of your oven for approximately 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.