How to Shuck Oysters with a Screwdriver
Oysters Oysters are a wonderful treat enjoyed around the world. However, they can also be a frustrating and dangerous snack without the proper tools to open them. The use of common household items can crush the oyster or break...
Oysters are a wonderful treat enjoyed around the world. However, they can also be a frustrating and dangerous snack without the proper tools to open them. The use of common household items can crush the oyster or break the tool. Even using an oyster knife can still result in puncture wounds if the user is not careful. Next time you are staring at a sack of fresh oysters with no way to open them simply go to your tool box and grab a flat-head screwdriver. With these simple instructions you will be enjoying fresh, delicious oysters in no time.
What you will need:
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Dish Soap
- A Heavy Glove
How to open your oysters:
- Thoroughly clean your screwdriver by scrubbing it with dish soap and hot water. Rinse the screwdriver under hot water and then dry with a towel.
- Put a heavy glove on the hand you will be holding the oyster with. This glove will help protect your hand in case your screwdriver slips.
- Wrap the oyster in a towel to give a better grip and protect your hand from the sharp edges of the oyster. Keep the hinged end of the oyster outside the towel as this will be your opening point.
- While holding the oyster in your gloved hand use your other hand to carefully insert the screwdriver into the hinged end of the oyster. Use a little force and wiggle the screwdriver until it is in the oyster. At this point use stronger force and pry your oyster open with the screwdriver.
- Once the oyster has opened slide your screwdriver along the seam to separate the top from the bottom shell.
- Enjoy your freshly shucked oyster.
While screwdrivers work in a pinch to shuck oysters it is always a good idea for any cook to have a quality oyster knife in their drawer. Options such as this, this, or this one which includes an oyster holder are perfect for the beginning or even advanced cook. For more information please feel free to contact us or visit our website.