Cupcakes are a sweet treat that are perfect for birthdays, holidays, and bake sales. You can make these single-serve confections from virtually any cake mix or recipe for an easy-to-eat dessert or snack. Filling your cupcakes with custard, mousse or...
Cupcakes are a sweet treat that are perfect for birthdays, holidays, and bake sales. You can make these single-serve confections from virtually any cake mix or recipe for an easy-to-eat dessert or snack. Filling your cupcakes with custard, mousse or other soft filling will take your cupcakes from everyday to gourmet in a few simple steps.
There is an endless variety of filled cupcakes, limited only by your imagination. Try pairing chocolate cake with a strawberry mousse filling for an elegant dessert. Or yellow cupcakes with chocolate pudding for a fun surprise for the kids. These white cupcakes filled with lemon curd provide a sweet-tart flavor perfect for a summer day.
White Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling
- according to your favorite white cake recipe, or boxed mix
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz. of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of gelatin
- 1 oz. butter
- 1/2 cup solid shortening
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest.
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- (optional) additional lemon juice
- Start with your favorite white cake recipe or boxed mix.
- Bake according to the recipe directions, and cool completely.
- While they are cooling, make your lemon curd filling.
- While your curd is still hot, fill your cupcakes. You can do this one of two ways: 1) Using a small paring knife, carefully carve a cone shape out of the top of the cupcake. Fill with the curd, and then replace the top portion of the cone to cover the filling. 2) Using a pastry bag with an injector or round tip, inject the curd into the center of the cupcake, squeezing slowly as you bring the tip back out to the top. You may want to inject each cupcake in 2-3 places for maximum filling coverage.
- Chill cupcakes in the fridge to allow the curd to set.
- Top these cupcakes with the icing of your choice. If you want more lemon flavor, consider a lemon buttercream frosting.
- Top cupcakes with a little lemon zest or lemon candies for a beautiful cupcake perfect for any occasion!
- Store these cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Lemon Curd Directions:
- Over medium heat, whisk together 3 eggs, 3 oz. of fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, and 2/3 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 oz. of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of gelatin. Allow to set.
- Continue whisking your egg and lemon mixture over medium heat until it reaches 160 degrees. It is important to continuously whisk so the eggs heat evenly.
- At 160 degrees, remove from heat and strain into a bowl. (This removes any larger pieces of egg or zest.)
- Whisk in 1 oz. of butter and the gelatin - lemon juice mixture.
Lemon Buttercream Directions:
- Cream together shortening and softened butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and the lemon zest.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add in additional lemon juice to thin frosting to the consistency you desire.
Visit our blog for more fabulous recipes for any occasion that will leave your guests clamoring for more.