Meatless Monday - Another Remake of the Seven Layer Salad
Seven Layer Salad The Summer Picnic Season has begun! This is another steal of a recipe and a remake of an old favorite, the Seven Layer Salad. I liked the Salsa Finish on this one for a new twist. I...
The Summer Picnic Season has begun! This is another steal of a recipe and a remake of an old favorite, the Seven Layer Salad. I liked the Salsa Finish on this one for a new twist. I realize that this is a Retro Recipe that many might not remember. The original recipe was layered with fat with cheeses, mayonnaise, bacon and eggs, but one I remember well from yester-year.
This version has a Tex-Mex vibe for me, so I will suggest finishing with black olives and cilantro to keep with that theme. This follows my mantra as Salad as the Main Course.
Seven Layer Salad with Creamy Salsa Vinaigrette
– We eat with our eyes! YUMSource: SoupAddict
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup your favorite mild or medium Salsa...
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (unrefined, cold-pressed, extra-virgin)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt -
For the Salad:
- 1 to 2 heads romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, sliced or chopped, your choice
- 1/2 cup green olives sliced. I would opt for black olives
- 3/4 cup corn kernels (thawed from frozen or fresh from the cob - no need to cook)
- 1 avocado, pit removed, peeled and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (about 2 cups after slicing)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, dill, and/or basil, chopped
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Assemble this salad in the layers as noted. A big beautiful glass bowl will showcase all of these healthy colorful choices.
- Top with some dressing and leave the remains in a small pitcher or bowl.
Here is a single serving idea. Portable for a picnic.
What is your favorite summer side now that Summer is here?