Meatless Monday Barley and Lentil Stew
Lead Photo – Lentil Stew 140026684 Barley 109042067 Lentils 166923572 Lentil Stew 140026684 Oh for the love of the lentil. In this quest for heathier, I have learned to love the humble lentil. This recipe...
Lead Photo – Lentil Stew
Oh for the love of the lentil. In this quest for heathier, I have learned to love the humble lentil. This recipe is an unusual combination of flavors and textures. We just had a rain filled weekend and this stew was a satisfying treat. I was given grief about adding barley as a grain, so I might have to re-create with just the lentil.
Barley –Lentil Stew
2 large onions, chopped
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 – 5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 ½ teaspoons cumin
4 cups vegetable stock
28 ounce can tomatoes, diced. I prefer and will almost always use fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick – about three inches – optional but adds some great depth of flavors
½ cup medium pearl barley, uncooked
½ cup parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon salt ( If you are using cans/cartons of stock, omit this and taste before adding any salt)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Optional – Greek Yogurt for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions and carrots in olive oil for about 8 – 10 minutes until crisp tender.
- Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir for about 2 minutes to bloom the seasonings.
- Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, brown sugar, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the barley. Cover and cook for an additional 45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for seasonings. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Garnish with parsley and yogurt if desired.
- Reheats and freezes well.
Tis the season of Soups and Stews. What is your favorite creation?