TexMex Waffles with Queso for Breakfast
The simple waffle has grown beyond the breakfast food upon which one puts melted butter, syrup, or fruit preserves. One notes the popularity of chicken and waffles, for example. But now waffles can have a TexMex flavor added to them, involving using...
The simple waffle has grown beyond the breakfast food upon which one puts melted butter, syrup, or fruit preserves. One notes the popularity of chicken and waffles, for example. But now waffles can have a TexMex flavor added to them, involving using Mexican spices to create the mix and topping it with queso sauce.
A recipe for making this particular type of waffles involves the following ingredients:
Ingredients for waffles:
- Three fourths cups of buttermilk
- Two eggs
- Five tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled OR one third cup of vegetable oil
- One and a half cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- One cup of yellow cornmeal
- Two tablespoons of sugar
- Two teaspoons of baking powder
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two tablespoons of minced fresh chives
- Two to three teaspoons of ground cumin (optional)
- One teaspoon of ground chipotle pepper
- Three tablespoons of dried tomato or bell pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix the buttermilk, the eggs, and melted butter or oil in one bowl.
- Then mix all of the rest of the ingredients separately.
- Gently combine the two and then let the batter sit for about ten minutes.
- Make the waffles in a waffle iron using one third cups of batter at a time. This should make ten eight inch in diameter waffles.
The queso sauce ingredients:
- one half cups of salsa,
- eight ounces of cream cheese,
- one cup of grated Monterey Jack cheese,
- one bunch of chopped scallions,
- a ten ounce package of frozen spinach, defrosted and dried.
Heat the salsa and the cheeses together and then add the scallions and spinach. The sauce can be used as a dip or poured over the waffles like butter or syrup.
An alternative would be to melt some store bought queso and use that, perhaps topping it with pico de gallo.
For more information contact us.